Wednesday, October 19

F5

I received a call on Wednesday of last week from a company I'm semi-aware of but haven't applied to yet. I think I was considering it. Or maybe not. I hadn't had time to think about it, actually. Anyway, I called them on my first lunch break on Friday and left a message with the time of my second lunch break for them to call back since I could only reach a voicemail. One of the main reasons I hadn't applied with this company was the fact there were no open position listings on any of the five or six different employment engines I've got my resume posted to. It didn't seem like they needed anyone for anything. I'd rather not waste my time if I can help it, so I didn't bother with it. Anyway, someone in HR for the company had seen my resume on one of those many employment sites and wanted me to interview for a position. My training at Propaganda, Inc. was in Week 3 with one week remaining. Training hours were Monday through Friday 0900-1800. The administration for this alternative company maintained the same work schedule. In order for me to interview with them, I would have to miss work at Propaganda, Inc. I was a little concerned about that prospect, but... not terribly.

Photobucket"When? Monday? Sure. 8am is brilliant. Two hours for the interview? I can do that." Propaganda, Inc. disagreed.

"You can't do that."
"I can't tell you in advance that I might be a little late coming in on Monday and then make up whatever time is lost that day? Which part of that can't I do, the being late on Monday or the making the time up?"
"You can't do any of it. If you're going to be late, don't bother coming in. Come on time or don't come at all."
"Well then. That's settled. See you Tuesday then."

The interview began as a fairly standard interview for one basic position and developed into a first interview for another position entirely. Due to the technical nature of the position I talked myself into being considered for, I needed at least a second interview with a program director. This would happen the following day at noon. Again some concern, but not much. I smiled, agreed, and later called Propaganda, Inc.

"Hey... about me coming to work tomorrow... Not actually going to happen as it turns out. Should we try for Wednesday?"
"If you're not here tomorrow, you won't have a job here."
"Oh. That's rather dramatic. Alright then. I'll be there Wednesday to turn in all company property currently in my possession and collect the first of my final paychecks."
Normally I would drag this out, build the suspense, whatever. I'll make an exception this time: I was offered the job. Huge surprise there. I knew that would be the outcome. I destroy interviews. I'm a very likable person with very employable qualities. The risk was definitely worth it. Tech support is a better fit for me than political fund raiser and fear monger. The only drawback is training class won't start for another two weeks and I'm officially unemployed again thanks to Propaganda, Inc's refusal to be even slightly flexible with the schedule this week. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to find something to entertain myself with in the meantime. One good thing about the new job is it has the same professional dress code as Propaganda, Inc. so I've got my wardrobe ready for October 31. Oh yeah. My first day is Halloween. Halloween! Trick or treat. That's freaking hilarious.supertech
burntlaptopI'm moderately excited about all the paid training I'll be receiving for this job. I can't wait to learn and know all sorts of technological troubleshooting bullshit. Freaking awesome. Can not wait. Super freaking excited. Also, it's more money than the other thing. I think I probably would have done this for less to just not have to go back to Propaganda, Inc. Actually, I know I would have. Don't have to think about it. The best part of this is the fact that I didn't have to do much of anything to make it happen. I definitely prefer being recruited to having to do the whole ridiculous job search song and dance - which wasn't getting me anywhere anyway.

Anyway, I'm happy and soon to be employed again and I'll even probably be doing something I'll actually enjoy. I think I'll close with a little tech support humor. Enjoy.
firefirefiretechdilbert

No comments:

Post a Comment